Spartacus
9.6.04
  In which I review an ancient video game. I just got Homeworld today; yes, I know it's three-something years old; yes, I know there's two more game that are out, supposedly even better; however, I felt the need to start from the beginning, and more importantly, the original was 9.99, whereas Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 were 19.99 and up. I am a cheap, dirty bastard.








Anyways, Homeworld rocks. The graphics are probably the best I've ever seen on my Dell. The gameplay is wonderful, camera control is flawless, and the developers actually put some thought into the storyline. I find that I am reminded of Ender's Game while watching the action unfold:


"The game was a holographic display, and his fighter was represented only by a tiny light. The enemy was another light of a different color, and they danced and spun and maneuvered through a cube of space that must have been ten meters to a side. The controls were powerful. He could rotate the display in any direction, so he could watch from any angle, and he could move the center so that the duel took place nearer or farther from him..."








The whole experience reminded me heavily of Homeworld, especially when he began to talk about fleets; however, there isn't a single passage in there devoted entirely to describing the fleets or combat; mostly they're spread out among several paragraphs, so I know what it's like but can't find an excerpt to describe it.


Try eating chocolate chips by the handful; they're purty tasty! 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
100% Angst Free! 100% In- and Ex-Telligent! 100% Practical and Skeptical! 100% Sincere! Just kidding. Well, only about the sincere part.

ARCHIVES
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004 / 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004 / 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 / 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005 / 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005 /


Powered by Blogger